4/5/12

Flaming Lips + Ke$ha + LSD = Doomsday

Pitchfork: How did the song turn out?

Wayne Coyne: It's exactly what people would think a Ke$ha/Flaming Lips track would sound like. It's obnoxious and funny. That's why we like it so much-- she wasn't precious about the whole thing. She was really into this idea of doing a song about the year 2012 and doomsday and what's going to happen. She sent me the most primitive fucking shitty 40-second demo, and we took that and ran with it. Her section of the song is very optimistic-- she's singing about the end of the world, but she's also on ten hits of acid, so she's having a good time-- and my section is completely fucked up.

Pitchfork: Did she actually take acid while recording?

Wayne Coyne: Well, when I got to her house, she said, "I've never taken acid, so I can't sing about that stuff." She's done lots of other drugs, but not acid. So she was like, "Why don't we do some acid, and then I can sing about it." She told her assistant, "Go get us some acid." Her assistant would've just ran out and got everybody a bunch of acid-- how great is that? But we didn't, because I was like, "Listen lady, I'm not going to do a bunch of acid with you tonight, because we have to record." Plus, I didn't really want her to. The way she is, it's as though she's on acid already. I thought, "Fuck, how crazy is that going to be [if she takes acid]?"

No comments:

Post a Comment